Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Chief Red Cloud--Sioux


Painting by J.D. Challenger


"The Great Spirit raised both
the white man and the Indian.
I think he raised the Indian first.
He raised me in this land,
it belongs to me.
The white man was raised over the great waters,
and his land is over there.
Since they crossed the sea,
I have given them room.
There are now white people all about me.
I have but a small spot of land left.
The Great Spirit told me to keep it."

Chief Red Cloud - Sioux

In 1868, men came out and brought papers.
We could not read them
and they did not tell us truly what was in them.
We thought the treaty was to remove the forts
and for us to cease from fighting.
But they wanted to send us traders on the Missouri,
but we wanted traders where we were.
When I reached Washington,
the Great Father explained to me
that the interpreters had deceived me.
All I want is right and just.

Chief Red Cloud - Sioux

They made us many promises,
more than I can remember.
But they kept but one--
They promised to take our land...
and they took it.

Chief Red Cloud - Sioux

Look at me - I am poor and naked,
but I am the chief of the nation.
We do not want riches,
but we want to train our children right.
Riches will do us no good.
We could not take them with us to the other world.
We do not want riches.
We want peace and love.

Chief Red Cloud - Sioux

No comments: